Thursday, August 4, 2011

You eat when...

Got to love those Alli commercials. You eat when you're hungry. You eat when you're bored. Sometimes you don't know why you are eating. So take Alli, a magical pill that cuts the fat of all the food you do eat in half.  Yeah, not a good idea. I tried it once and realized it was an expensive way to ensure I went to the bathroom.

I like the idea of the commercials though. If your life revolves around eating then you're not really living are you? And you're certainly not going to lose weight or get healthy if the only exercise you get is running back and forth to the refrigerator. I decided I needed to come to terms with my eating habits. I picked up a copy of Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. Having read Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Roth I know what the first step is. Eat only when you are hungry.

Simple, right? Actually it is. The other unspoken guideline is of course to make better choices about your food when you eat. As I said I read this before and as simple as everything was I still couldn't stick to it. And here's why: I have to be accountable for what I eat. I can't have sugar everyday and lament that I can't lose weight. It doesn't work that way.

Today I focused on that first step and it really got me through the day. When I did feel like snacking I stuck to the carrots, fruit, or whole wheat cereal. Even then I only ate if I was actually hungry. I did leave to run a few errands and found myself contemplating an iced coffee from Starbucks. Iced coffee isn't bad, especially when you have it with skim milk and Splenda like I do. But I know me. I will inevitably end up with a slice of pumpkin bread, or a brownie, or even one of those cake pops. I'll love it in the beginning but then feel bad when I realize how much bad stuff was in that little treat. So for now I will just avoid it and continue to read on and maybe next time I can learn to trust myself around food.

No comments:

Post a Comment