Thursday, July 28, 2011

On the good ship Lollipop

Day two and this no sugar thing is starting to annoy me. I'm still not feeling well so all I want to do is burn the itchiness out of my throat with tea. Problem: I like sugar in my tea. I like sugar in my coffee. I like to have toast with honey or cookies, or something sweet and gooey to go with my tea or coffee. Realizing I may have made an error in judgement is more annoying than not having sugar. I have tea with unsweetened almond milk and buttered toast. No honey. I reason that in the state I am in I can not tell the difference anyway.

A couple of hours later and all I want to do is go back to sleep and my eyes hurt. It could be my sinuses. It could be I am finally coming down from the sugar binge I had a few days ago. Either way I head back to bed. I wake up again to find my dog staring at me with a confused look on his face. I decide to move around and work on cleaning my neglected kitchen.

I try to rationalize that having an artificial sweetened or sugar free something isn't like I had sugar. But I know that's not true. I actually read the box of artificial sweetener I keep for coffee to double check my argument. The sweetener did have sugar listed in the nutritional information. Less than a gram. Who was it going to hurt? I remembered I didn't know what grams translated to in teaspoons, etc. Crud. I put it back and continued with my mopping.

After that's done I am worn out and hungry. What I want is a cup of Chai with cream and honey and gingersnaps. I settle for a banana and a cup of  chicken noodle. I realize the noodles are not wheat noodles but Campbell's doesn't make chicken and wheat noodle soup. Maybe I am not being as strict as I need to be but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to chicken noodle soup.

It's dinner time and I really want some ice cream. My fever is breaking and I want something cold. If it were something cold and sweet so much the better. Instead I make wheat penne pasta and add some diced tomatoes to lean beef and chopped onions. My husband has spaghetti with garlic bread. I still want ice cream. A dipped cone from DQ or McDonald's or maybe just a large Dr. Pepper.

Oh well, I guess I'll settle for a glass of water. It's better for me anyway. Tomorrow is when I get rid of fruit.  I'm not sure I am up for that. Having a banana got me through not having any sugar today. I will say not having any sugar made me appreciate the sweetness of the banana so much more.

It had a delicate sweetness that wasn't at all like the banana flavored snowcones I remember from Bud's Snowballs. Mmm, snowcones. My favorite was the Swiss Almond Cocoa also known as Hawaiian Snow. Gosh, now I am drooling. Ok, enough of this for tonight or else I will get a sugar rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment