Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm addicted to you and I just can't get enough

Those words have never been truer for me these days. I worked for a bookstore formerly owned by Borders group until today. The last few days have been a nightmare as co-workers and I scrambled to close up a store and ship books to another store with little direction and no supplies. When we finally were able to box up merchandise we played the waiting game with Fedex. Between lugging and boxing books, magazines and office supplies I found myself sitting around talking and quite often eating sugar.

The to-go brownies from Friday's kept me sane when I thought I was going to lose my nerve. The chocolate and almond-covered-toffee bar  from the candy shop made me smile when all I wanted to do was  cry over my frustration and exhaustion. Brownies, cookies, donuts, sweetened coffee, tea, soft drinks, and candy all made it to my list of must have food items this week. And I've gained three pounds.

Pish posh! Not a lot you say? It's a lot when I was 147 lbs. at the end of last week and am now 150 lbs. To top it off (no pun intended) I'm only 4'10. Yikes! Back in the danger zone of weight gain. As I was driving home today from my last day at work I heard the lyrics to the Black-Eyed Peas song. And I thought that's it, we should never identify with a Black-Eyed Peas song. Seriously, all kidding aside I need to do something and stop fussing about it.

I had a moment to catch some of Rachael Ray the other day and she was speaking to Dr. Fred Pescatore of The Hamptons Diet about how much sugar the average American consumes in a day: 33 teaspoons which translates to 155 lbs of sugar per year. Ugh. No wonder I have so much trouble with my weight. I'm an emotional eater and I LOVE my sugar. Now, I am not one for fad diets but he got my attention. Later in the show Pescatore suggested a sugar detox for a viewer of the show. The chosen viewer revealed her video log of her detox and her problems with it. Headaches, moodiness, frustration with a restricted food list.  But even she had to admit sugar was running her life and weight. So for the next three days I am going to try this out. Just the Detox and I will report on each day. Hopefully my sugar addiction will be curbed a bit. Until then, where's my Sprite?

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/curing-your-sweet-tooth/

No comments:

Post a Comment