Monday, October 10, 2011

Diet? What diet?

Sorry I have been gone the last two weeks. I wish I could say it was a need to reflect on life that kept me but really it was a job. I started a new job roughly two weeks ago. So far so good. But it's kind of undone my schedule and my diet.

I realize most people would kill for a job right now but I hate anything that disrupts my routine. For example, up until two weeks ago I walked my dog every morning for two miles. We often went to a trail because the trail changes just a bit day to day and it offers a challenge. I also stuck to counting calories and often ate similar meals day to day. I also moved a lot more. Even after exercise I found myself heading outside just to enjoy the outdoors.

Then I accepted a position with a sales group in Dallas. It's not a bad job. Just different from everything I had been doing for months. In just the past two weeks my routine has been falling apart. I can't walk the dog in the morning. I have to be at the office at 8 and that means I have to leave early to sit in traffic and then sit at a desk. I try to walk him when I get home but after being in traffic on my way home sometimes I end up asleep.

Sleep. That's another thing I miss. I will admit it, I am a bit lazy. I love to sleep and without a good 10 hours, yes, 10, I drag. This leads me to my diet. When I'm tired, and zapped of the energy I get during my morning walk I turn to food. Mainly sugar. I have a candy jar at my desk. At first I wasn't that interested in the candy. I even put the candy in a dark dish so I couldn't see it. After a while when my head would droop at  my desk I would shovel some candy in my mouth. That worked for a little while. Until lunch anyway.

 The building I work in conveniently has a deli downstairs stocked with all types of treats. I started heading down to the deli around lunch to grab a soft drink. Then after a few days I added chips. After the end of my first week I had eaten so much junk food that my stomach ached everyday and yet I continued to eat.

After a tough weekend I decided to be honest. I am working on changing my diet as much to get into smaller clothes as to have a healthier body. I'm not going to get very far on a diet made of junk. Today I did better. I drank water, ate fruit and veggies and  have decided to turn in early tonight. I did eat a bit more but it is my first day  back after all. It's all about the baby steps. Take enough baby steps and that will add up to a big step. At least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment